Sekai Makoni came to experience Action Learning through NEON (the New Economy Organisers Network). Her interests lie within campaigning such as through the work of Sisters Uncut a direct action feminist group that works to counter government cuts to domestic violence services. She finds action learning to be a useful tool within campaigning to help uncover innovative approaches to complex problems.
Sekai runs an action learning set for women of colour organising intersectionally. The set provides a space for women of colour to speak through and actively listen to each other’s experiences and see what approaches can be taken despite societies’ structural constraints. During her time at Campaign Bootcamp Sekai worked on a project with 38 Degrees helping to coordinate their trainings across the UK giving introduction to activism.
Sekai’s expertises lie within race and gender studies. Her MSc at LSE was in Race, Ethnicity and Postcolonial Studies and she currently lives in Amsterdam where she is undertaking research into Black women’s identities in the Netherlands and the links to colonial histories. Her work uses audio techniques to literally capture and preserve the voices of Black women. She has experience in action learning, open space technology and training for change and is interested in creating safe spaces where deep work can be done.
You can read more about our work with NEON here.
- Sandberg Institute Master’s Critical Studies (2017 – Present)
London School of Economics msc Race, Ethnicity & Post-Colonial Studies (2009 – 2010)
- The University of Birmingham BA African Studies (2006 – 2009)
- Campaign Bootcamp Local Training Programme Coordinator (May 2017 – Oct 2017)
- Help On Your Doorstep Community Development Coordinator (Mar 2017 – Jun 2017)
- The Ubele Initiative Project Development Officer (Jan 2016 – Jan 2017)
- BUPA People Team Administrator (Feb 2014 – Jan 2016)
- Spice TV Opinion Piece Writer (May 2014 – Jan 2015)
- Canterbury Christ Church Uni Academic Tutor (Nov 2013 – Jan 2014)
- The Body Shop Head Office Communications Administrator (Jul 2012 – Dec 2013)
- Training For Social Action Trainers Training For Change (2017)
- Nikesha Shukla Writing Workshop Word Factory (2017)
- Strategic Communications LVSC (2017)
- Action Learning Set Facilitation Action Learning Associates (2017)
- GLC Story – Oral History Training Oral History Society (2017)
- Open Space Facilitation Training Public Service Works (2016)
- Campaign Bootcamp 8 Campaign Bootcamp (2016)
- Erasmus IP University Of Eastern Finland (2014)
- Woman’s Hour BBC Radio 4 (2016)
- The Listening Project BBC Radio 4 (2015)
- The Dotun Adebayo Show BBC Radio London (2012)
Talks, Presentations & Workshops
- Greenbelt Festival (2016)
- BFI Panelist (2016)
- Sarah Bonell School (2016)
- Black Women’s Intergenerational Evening (2016)
- Blackness In Britain Conference (2013)