John has more than twenty-five years of experience working in the public, private, and voluntary sectors. He is an AC Accredited Professional Coach, Coach Supervisor, and facilitator and is committed to enabling positive organisational and personal change through leadership development, action learning, coaching, and facilitation. John works internationally as a senior facilitator and executive coach. He works face-to-face and virtually with a wide range of organisations and with groups and individuals from more than 30 different countries.
Action Learning facilitation
John is an action learning facilitator and ILM approved trainer of facilitators and is skilled in both face-to-face and virtual working (following training at Ashridge Business School). He has trained and coached facilitators (in English and in French) and is a former Chair and Executive Board Member of the International Foundation for Action Learning (IFAL).
Whether working virtually or face-to-face, John ensures a safe, supportive and challenging working space within which participants explore and resolve their ‘wicked’ problems. John is currently delivering Action Learning in several contexts (corporate, social and education).
John is a skilled group facilitator working at all levels up to Executive Board. Major pieces of work have included facilitated leadership development programmes which supported technically gifted individuals in making the shift to leadership and management positions; introducing project management into organisations; strategic planning; business continuity planning; inter-disciplinary relationship building; and design and delivery of mentoring programmes.
Coaching and mentoring
John is an AC Accredited Professional Executive Coach. He works with individuals and teams who want to discover or rediscover the purpose, pleasure and pride in their work and who want to drive measurable and positive change for themselves, their teams, their organisations and the world.
Coaching topics have included: developing positive and emotional intelligence and self-awareness; communicating effectively with a variety of different audiences; building confidence and assertiveness; understanding and overcoming limiting beliefs; managing change; strategic planning; meeting effectiveness; navigating difficult relationships; surviving mergers; personal development planning; and moving from technical expert to people leader. John also designs and delivers coaching skills workshops for managers.
John is currently delivering ILM 5 Coaching and Mentoring programmes at London South Bank University.
Qualifications and Awards
- Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) Level 7 Coaching Supervision (2021)
- Association for Coaching Accredited Professional Executive Coach (2019)
- Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) approved trainer for the Professional Development Programme in Action Learning Facilitation (2011)
- FIRO-B licensed practitioner (2007)
- PRINCE 2 practitioner (2006)
- CIPD Advanced Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring (2006)
- Action Learning Facilitation with Ruth Cook (2004)
- Facilitation Techniques (2001)
- OGC Managing Successful Programmes (2002)
- Advanced Project Management (1998, and as facilitator 1999)
- Project Management Techniques (1996)
- MS Project (1996)
- PRINCE (1995)
- MSc Commendation (Heriot Watt, 1993)
- BBC Management Development (1990, 1991)
- BSc Hons (Wales, 1979)