Update June 2020
Originally, we planned to run this workshop as a face to face programme. It will now be run as a virtual course in a morning and afternoon session on the same day, and will include some additional course content around virtual facilitation.
The course will run from 10am to 12.30pm, then from 2pm to 4.30pm.
This one-day workshop will take you through the skills needed to be a great facilitator.
Facilitating groups can be challenging, but there are ways of creating a positive, productive experience for all, with the help of a few tools and know-how. We will look in detail at the role of the facilitator and the qualities needed to ensure your facilitated sessions stay on track.
During this course you will learn how to:
- Understand best practice in facilitation
- Engage with all participants from the beginning
- Know how groups behave as they develop and how to respond
- Identify good and bad facilitation experiences, learning from the good and addressing the bad
- Understand the types of intervention facilitators use, with examples of phrasing
- Identify disruptive behaviours in groups and develop strategies/tactics to address them
- Encourage positive participation from all participants
- Understand the stages of group development
- Take appropriate actions as a facilitator, at each stage
- Stay on topic and reach agreed outcomes
Facilitating confidently in the virtual world
You will leave with an individual development plan.
Working in small groups, you will have the opportunity to take part in practice sessions, using the new tools and techniques that we discuss, to practice new behaviours and embed core competencies.
You’ll leave with a comprehensive workbook containing all of the material we discuss, so that you develop into a confident and competent facilitator. The workbooks are excellent for future reference as you progress your facilitation skills.
Best Practice Facilitation is also available as an in-house course for groups of up to 18 people. Please contact us for further details and costs.
Best Practice in Facilitation is an excellent foundation for progressing onto the 3 day programme in action learning facilitation. We will include a short introduction to this course, defining the difference between general facilitation and action learning facilitation, and how action learning may be useful in your role.