John has more than twenty five years experience working in public service broadcasting, the commercial and charity sectors, local government, and mining. For the past two years he has focussed on project management, action learning, coaching and mentoring and facilitation. John is widely travelled, has worked overseas (Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa), and has a keen interest in cross-cultural coaching and mentoring.
Action Learning facilitation
John has over 12 years experience of facilitating action learning sets following initial training with Ruth Cook. John is committed to his own learning and development and jointly organises and facilitates a development forum for experienced Action Learning facilitators. He has trained and coached facilitators and is himself a member of a peer consultancy set. His facilitation experience includes: Cancer Research UK (Departmental Heads, senior and middle managers on internal personal development programmes), the London Housing Foundation (IT Heads), DEFRA (RPA), Ernst and Young and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
John has ten years experience as a group facilitator, working at senior management and middle management levels on projects, relationships, strategic planning, business continuity and change.
- Business continuity planning with the London Housing Foundation
- Disaster recovery facilitation with the BBC and ICL Fujitsu
- Facilitation of external suppliers and internal clients at Cancer Research UK
- Design and delivery of team facilitation with Cancer Research UK
- Project team facilitation with the BBC, EDS, Coopers and Lybrand
- Project team facilitation with Cancer Research UK
- Project Management facilitation and coaching with Working Time Solutions
- Group facilitation for experienced Action Learning facilitators.
Coaching and mentoring
John has five years coaching and mentoring experience supported by the CIPD Advanced Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring (accredited by Oxford Brookes). He has undertaken individual coach-mentoring with Cancer Research UK, the Youth Sport Trust, MasterCard, University of London, Hudson, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the Treasury, as well as private clients in the UK, the United States and Canada. John is also a volunteer mentor with the New Leaders UK programme and with the charity Timebank. He is a member of the European Mentoring and Coaching Council and a member of a long-standing peer coaching and supervision group.
Project, programme and portfolio management
Twelve years with MedAS, the BBC, Cancer Research UK and Working Time Solutions. Design and delivery of tailored project management methodologies and project management seminars for Cancer Research UK and Working Time Solutions. Facilitation of cross-functional project teams within the BBC, MeDAS and Cancer Research UK. Project planning directorate-wide leadership development programmes with Cancer Research UK.
Qualifications and Awards
- Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM)approved trainer for the Professional Development Programme in Action Learning Facilitation (2011)
- FIRO-B licensed practitioner (2007)
- PRINCE 2 practitioner (2006)
- CIPD Advanced Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring (2006)
- Action Learning Facilitation with Ruth Cook (2004)
- Facilitation Techniques (2001)
- OGC Managing Successful Programmes (2002)
- Advanced Project Management (1998, and as facilitator 1999)
- Project Management Techniques (1996)
- MS Project (1996)
- PRINCE (1995)
- MSc Commendation (Heriot Watt, 1993)
- BBC Management Development (1990, 1991)
- BSc Hons (Wales, 1979)